Picture

Picture

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

I know that is an ugly picture, perhaps the ugliest picture to ever grace this blog...it's shame because I promise this is one of THE. Best. Meals. EVER.

My 6 year olds favorite meal! You ask most kids what they want for a supper or a birthday dinner and you'll get "pizza" as a reply. Not my Olivia, she will reply "how about meatballs with rice". Everyone I've ever made this for has loved it and wanted more. I usually make a double or triple dose and freeze them in freezer bags for quick weeknight meals.

The Grocery List

  • 1 lbs ground beef
  • 1 package of dry onion soup mix
  • 1 eggs
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 cups of chopped mushrooms
  • 1 can of tomato soup
  • 1/3 cup Ketchup (original recipe states "a dollop" which i figure is about 1/3 or until you can't squeeze the bottle any more)
  • 2 handfuls of brown sugar (very technical...I know)
  • 2 tbsp vinegar
Cooking It all Up

Begin by making the meatball. Add the ground beef, onion soup mix and egg to a bowl, mix well (I use my hands) and form meatballs. Lay the meatballs out on baking trays. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes, turning once. Once they are cooked I place them on a plate and dab them dry with paper towel to remove excess fat.

While the meatballs are cooking, put the tomato soup, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, onion and mushrooms into a large pot on the stove.

One the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and simmer at least 30 minutes.
** alternatively, if you aren't pressed for time, you could make the sauce right in your slow cooker as I did with my double batch, add the cooked meatballs, and set to low for a few hours.

Serve over rice with a side salad and garlic bread. A perfect meal for a rushed weeknight or for company on a weekend. Enjoy!

2 Hot Thoughts:

LLW

Mmm...delicious!

I love meatballs and rice..but they have to be real hamburger; I cannot stand the frozen meatballs...yick. ;)

LLW

What brand tomato soup?

Slider

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Chicks and Whisks   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP